Sunday, 1 February 2009

Resident Evil 5 Demo

Lets be honest- the idea of the Resident Evil franchise coming to 360 for the first time is orgasm-inducing. I was very excited for the release of the demo and couldn't wait to give it a try.
However, I was more disappointed than happy with the demo gameplay. It just lacks and lacks in several areas. Firstly - and I swear I am not just nit-picking here - the aim-shoot-reload process. 1) You cannot move and shoot - something very useful considering you are constantly being hunted down by chainsaw wielding, blood thirsty angry mutants. 2) The controls are very, very tacky. If you play popular shooters like Gears or CoD you will find it very hard to adjust to these controls. 3) You will go through ammo like a fat man through half-price donuts. This will also serve you very well in the game considering you and your partner are outnumbered zombie*:survivor in a ratio of about 346872:1

Secondly, the process of looking about, scanning surroundings and looking for your next mission point will take you a unnecessary length of time. You will find it difficult in situations wherein you are surrounded by dozens of zombies and have to dodge your way around blade swings and lunges.

It just seems like this game is too rushed. It tries to recreate elements of Left 4 Dead and Dead Rising - but the Resident Evil franchise is neither of these games. There is nothing unique to this game, and the japanese-arcadey feel to it just amplifies its poor qualities instead of helping it be the intense horror game it should be.

At the start of the year, I just had it in my mind I would buy this game. The demo made me think otherwise.

The RE5 demo is available on XBL marketplace for download now.

* Are these things really zombies? Does someone with the ability to talk through a loudspeaker and rally a crowd constitute 'zombies'?

No comments: